“Ever single day I did something different.” Felipe, from Brazil, shared this insight of what made it a great experience for him as an au pair in the USA.
The lifestyle of an au pair is unlike an ordinary lifestyle. It is different. It’s a life filled with adventures and new things to do, to learn and to see. All of it just waiting around every corner for you to see and experience.
Felipe became an au pair in the USA in 2015. He completed his first year in Oklahoma City where he took care of 4 boys; ages 12 (twins), 9 and 6 years old.
In his second year he lived with a family in Arlington,VA, where he took care of 3 boys; ages 9, 7 and 5 years old.
Either with his host children or in his free time, Felipe felt like he always had the opportunity to do something new or different. Even when it was the same thing that occurred on a weekly basis, such as Starbucks night’s on Tuesdays where many au pairs from various au pair agencies descended to in Northern Virginia. Felipe made it a point to always experience every meeting differently as some of the evenings were filled with different vibes that changes the atmosphere. He enjoyed all of his various conversations with his regular group of friends as well as with any new-coming au pair’s that showed up looking for a friendly face, somebody to connect with or simply getting a coffee at Starbucks; many being from Germany, France or another far away country.
To Felipe, it felt like everyday he discovered something new in his very familiar surroundings. While he embraced the American way of living by celebrating U.S. holidays among many other things, he also took advantage of improving his English.
After two years living in the USA as an Au-pair, Felipe returned home with a suitcase full of adventures, experiences and memories made. He gained all of this only one way he was able to do….by becoming an au pair abroad.
If you are currently an au pair seeking to connect with others in your area, here are some pointers to help you out.
1. Use Facebook as a platform to connect (or any other social media). Search for groups in your area. In Virginia two very popular groups that are great to use to get connected are the “bro-pair” group & “welcome to dc” group.
2. If you can’t find a group then be creative and create a group! Why not? It took 3 young guys to start the bro pair group in the DMV area in Virginia.
3. Create or join regular meetings like sports nights on Wednesday or Starbuck nights on Tuesday.
4. Get involved in things within your community! If you already have a hobby like running then find a running club. If you want to take on a new hobby like salsa dancing then find places that offer this.
5. Don’t be afraid to get connected and to get to know others! Chances are that you share a lot of similar hobbies and searching for others to do the same things with.
If you’ve been lucky enough to have had the opportunity to meet Felipe on your journey, you will know what I mean when I say he’s got a unique way to connect with people. He’s love for others are endless. I’ve had the opportunity to walk a part of my journey with Felipe and now I have the opportunity to write a small part of his au pair journey in the USA.
written by Nitanja, Au pair buzz
28 June 2018